Saturday 27 August 2016

Brighton

Hey everyone,
Well. as my eldest was packed off to the Reading festival on Thursday morning until Monday, my youngest (who has proved not to be so young anymore, and is suddenly no longer my little 5 year old dancing around like a fairy, but has become a very confident, clever and beautiful young lady)
We booked into the Queens hotel and spa on the sea front in Brighton, and took the train from Flitwick straight through to Brighton, it is a slow train and stops at every station, taking about 2hrs 30 mins. As Thursday was a very hot day, the air conditioning on the train was working full pelt, for those travelling a few stops it was a relief from the heat, for us by the time we got off at Brighton, we were all suffering from hypothermia!
I love Brighton, we took a slow stroll down the hill and booked into our hotel, dumped our bags in our room and went exploring.
I used my white cane the whole time we were away, I know many people don't like using a cane, but I find not only does it warn people that I need a little more time and space, it gives me the opportunity and confidence to look around instead of watching where my feet are going. It also gives whoever is with me a bit of a rest, it means they aren't constantly looking out for obstacles, or getting cross when other people bump into me (cos that's what they do you know, I NEVER bump into other people!)
We walked for what seemed like miles, up little lanes and through pretty gardens. we wanted to go to the Royal Pavilion but ended up in Brighton Museum, now, don't get me wrong, I am sure this Museum is fantastic, but I found it a bit boring, the little descriptions below the artefacts were way to small for a average sighted person to read, we did find a area celebrating fashion...
we weren't sure if you were allowed to take photo's so we only took a couple!

I have always, as you know, struggled with using my disability for what I see as advantageous gains, I don't like saying that my daughter is my carer, because she isn't, but at the same time she is! I couldn't have come to Brighton on my own and would never had managed to do all the things we did with out her. So, for the very first time, I went in as a concession and Abi went in as my carer, I paid a grand total of £4.50 and Abi went in for free. So, I didn't mind leaving after 15 minutes, the things I did see were beautiful, some of the dresses were incredible, I found myself draw to anything sparkly or shiny!
We sat people watching outside a little café for a while, and then went back to our hotel for a swim in their pool, the staff are very helpful and everything is easily accessible.
As I knew it would be very busy in the evenings this time of the year, wanted to take Abi out for a evening meal where she could relax, so I found a Bella Italia quite near to our hotel and booked in advance on line. I also sent them a email, asking if they provided large print menus and also a well lit table. I got a email straight back from Jack saying yes to both, his staff know the menu well and they will be aware of me and help me in any way they can.
Well, from the moment we stepped into the restaurant we received outstanding service, Jack was unable to find a large print menu but took the time to chat through the choices with me, at no point was I embarrassed that I couldn't read the menu. We had a totally relaxed evening, sitting in the big window we chatted and watched people come and go, we watched the transition from day time family holidaying to young (and not so young) people dressed up for night life, fascinating to see that change!
Anyway, the food was fantastic, and the staff, who were working under tremendous pressure as it was incredibly busy, were attentive and respectful. As it got darker, the familiar pang of anxiousness reared its head, I do not like using my stick in the dark, mostly because it draws attention and makes my daughter and myself vulnerable, night brings a whole different meaning, everywhere looks different and sadly I find I am standing out as a easy target, as we went to leave, Jack offered to walk us back to our hotel, which was really very kind, but we walked back along the main streets and were back into the hotel within 5 mins.  Thank you Jack and your team for a smashing evening, we will visit again.
The following morning, we used the hotels swimming pool again and then went along the beach and onto the pier before it got to busy.
Thank you Brighton, very sad to go home xx

No comments:

Post a Comment