Sunday 13 December 2015

Shopping 2

So, back to the shopping thing! There's no way of doing it easily that's for sure, if I go to the Supermarket, we have the issues similar to the last shopping blog, added to that supermarkets have this nasty habit of moving stuff, or plonking those wooden advertising boards on the end of an isle, AND what about those strips they have started putting on the floor of a isle, you know what I mean? Asda in Biggleswade have one along their 'seasonal isle', so not only am I trying to find what I want on the shelves, trying to be aware of and not to bump into other people and small children but I have to watch the floor, its so strange, my eyes are drawn to the colours and I find it really hard to walk on, the one I mean has bright colours on and small children tend to sit on it and then they sort of blend in....I know this because small children scream very loudly when you run them over with the trolley!!!
Then there's sell by dates which are tiny and some labels on things are so small that I just assume it must be really bad for you, and chuck it in the trolley anyway. I recon if I let it, this shopping thing could turn me into a really bitter thinking person, which is why I need a strategy, think out the route and visualise it before going, make a list (or lots of lists in my case), chose a sensible time to go, a few years ago I did my Christmas food shop with my sister in Baldock 24Hr Tesco at 1am, I thought this was a fab idea....except they dim the lights and there's all these dolly trolleys cluttering up the isles while they re stock the shelves, so I have found 8am is about the best time for me. Don't rush or be rushed, I make stupid mistakes when I am rushed. When my girls and I were visiting our friends in Woodbridge, Suffolk, we went to their local Tesco, my friend introduced me to this thing, where you take a trolley, some shopping bags and get one of these hand held bleeper things and zap your shopping as you go around, then at the end, you attach your bleeper thing to the checkout whatsit, pay for your shopping and, hey presto! so I gave it a go, I was really enjoying the zapping of my items until I realised that the little screen on the bleeper thing was too small for me to see, apparently it tells you how much you have spent and all sorts of technical things, I had a little moan to my mate about the screen being too small, next thing she's off, you must understand, my friend is bossy and short and when she is pissed off she pushes out her chest, shoulders back and marches....everyone usually runs for cover, but this little lad looking like he was fresh out of school took the brunt of my friend,  I hear her firmly saying....are YOU telling me this little machine can tell you what you are having for dinner, but it cant be made to show large print????? and where is you suggestion box??? Off she marches to the car still wagging her finger leaving this lad with his bottom jaw resting on his desk. Within two weeks, TESCO WOODBRIDGE, had their little hand held zappy thingys in LARGE PRINT, well done bestie and well done Tesco.
The other option is to have home delivery, this idea has definitely got better with age, I have a large screen laptop and can zoom in nicely. They delivery slots have been reduced from 3 hours to 1, and nine times out of ten my shopping is delivered within that hour, Tesco and Sainsbury are very good at making sure there aren't many subs, Asda are rubbish, half my shopping usually has substitutions. Tesco are the worst for sending food that is near its sell by date and sadly I have received food that is only good for the bin, BUT it means I do not have to do the super market thing, so I have to grin and bear it......except I have forgotten to book my Christmas delivery and there are no slots left, so what do I do, 1am or 8am??

1 comment:

  1. Another great blog entry! I think I recognise one of the characters in your account of the visit to Woodbridge Tesco!

    ReplyDelete