Saturday 20 February 2016

Action for Blind People

OK, so, Action for Blind People are a team of people offering help and support for blind, partially sighted people and their families across the country (England), they have been around for over 150 years, although, they have been known by different names over the years. Their main aim is to support people to live as independently as possible, offering support and information continuously. They have a fantastic website that is easy to access and understand, they also have a section about their Values and Visions...let me just read them to you...
To make every day better for everyone affected by sight loss, by being there when people need us, supporting independent living, creating a inclusive society and preventing sight loss.
Values
* Led by blind and partially sighted people; Blind and partially sighted people are at our heart and influence everything we do.
* Collaborative; We work together to make the biggest difference.
* Creative; We understand the challenges and find ways to over come them and move them forward.
* Inclusive; We include and value people with diverse experience, abilities and backgrounds.
* Open; We are honest, candid and transparent, challenging ourselves and others.
These values I have experienced first hand and I am overwhelmed with the support I have received.
Last year I had a problem with my council Tax, no offence if you work for the council, but it can be bloody useless at times, I needed to make some changes, what with being a lone parent, bla bla bla, they are always banging on about how important it is to notify them if there are any changes and yet when you do its suddenly becomes harder than rocket science! Anyway, I emailed Action and was put in touch with a lovely lady who supported me completely, she even set up conference calls to the council so we all knew which way things were going, I wouldn't consider myself completely 'green', but when it comes to these matters I just want to do my usual head in the sand thing,  luckily the Action lady wasn't taking fools gladly and didn't beat around the bush when it came to telling the lady from the council exactly what should be happening, Tracey from Action sure knows her stuff! She kept in regular contact with me, sent me out SAE so that I could send her any information she needed without it costing me anything, although to some people this may seem a very small problem (and actually, I suppose it is) but, none of the information from the council, regardless that it was all in small print, makes any sense, also there is the added factor that my sight is becoming so bad that I can no longer read for any length of time, I just cannot focus on the page, my eyes wonder and my brain will only acknowledge about three sentences at one time. I do miss reading books, but at this rate it would take me about two years to read a good book, and by then I would have forgotten what was happening in the start!
I first had contact with David a few years ago,  I had been signed off work for 6 months at the start of the sight loss thing and I needed to get back to work and start living as 'normally' as possible. David came out to my home and talked me through all sorts of stuff, then he came into work with me where we had a meeting with my boss and discussed how my role would need to be adapted to insure the safety of both the Children and myself, back then there were very little changes to be made, information that I needed should be in large print, I wasn't able to be in the play ground the same time as the children, as they move so fast I just couldn't track them or get out of the way quick enough when they are racing around on bikes, and of course, I just needed to take things a little slower than I used to do, also there would be some training on sight loss for the staff so that they understand that I am not being ignorant when I don't respond if someone is waving at me at the top of the corridor. Of course, with such a large school, with a million different things going on every day, its not often that I get anything in large print, unless we are going to church and the lady who organises the trips for the children, like Easter and Christmas, always insures I get a large print copy of the programme, so THANK YOU to you my lovely, and the training never happened as more important things came along instead as they inevitably do. So, I go back to work and find that I have some very supportive and understanding co-workers who made my life incredibly easier and happier. Even though I had gone back to work and was carrying on with my life, every now and then I would get a email from David, just asking how I was getting on and to contact him if I needed any help. The times I have contacted Action, I have always has a quick reply and a solution to my question. Now, as things have changed again and my sight has become worse I find myself needing support. After dropping a email to David he came to my house last week to discuss the balance between home and work life, which at the moment is incredibly unbalanced. We talked at length about what I expect for the future and given my age ( fairly youngish) and my need to remain in some sort of social circles, we agreed that simply giving up work and staying home wasn't a favourable option for the moment. we came up with three different options that I think are reasonable and next week he will be back to accompany me to a meeting with my boss, we, hopefully will be able to make an arrangement so that I can spend a little longer at work doing the job I love, I think if I had to give up work, I would miss the Children and some of the staff who have become very important to me over the 13 years I have worked for the school. It is so difficult to make a decision on my own, do I stop working and spend my time walking the dog, doing housework, and being there for my girls and taking life a whole lot slower? Or do I make reasonable adjustments to my work life, enjoy spending time with the children and co-workers as well as making sure I have time for my girls, walking the dog and taking life slightly slower? At the moment some thing has to change, i cannot keep going at this speed and I have accepted that change is on its way, staying in work is the last link to the life I used to have, my girls are growing up, the eldest leaves school this year and my youngest has possibly three years left at upper school, I certainly do not expect my children to look after me, so i need to make some sort of a plan now.....I just don't know where to start! And that's where Action step in, I know I will get the best advice and support, and I know any transition I have to make in the future will be with their support. Thank you Action.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it is good to read a tribute to an organisation that is getting things right. All too often the internet is full of moans and groans about those who get it wrong. Thanks, Lynda, and well done Action!

    ReplyDelete