Friday 1 December 2017

A Christmas Rant

I've been  thinking.....I know, my lot tell me all the time I think way too much.....
I was thinking about how easy it is to cut ourselves off from the world outside our front doors, and I know I talk about that a lot, but what about when the tables turn and being cut off is taken out of our hands. 
Take this time of the year for example, its the festive season and my Facebook page is alight with all the Christmas fayres, fetes, festivals and markets. I would love to attend some of the places that pop up, but I know without a doubt it would be a nightmare. 
Lets all think about it for a moment.... Lets Take Mr and Mrs  non disability, they get up on a Saturday morning and decide they will go off to, I dunno, lets say Wadderston Mannor to look at their Christmas light display and wonder around the market. No problem, off they go, parking is a bit of a bitch and if they were disabled they might have got a better parking space, but hey, they stomp across a muddy car park and enter through the gates. The place is packed with people wondering about, so busy looking at all the beautiful things that they aren't really aware of their immediate surroundings, so they might bump into someone, they might exchange apologies and the moment is forgotten. I know what it is like, I remember what it is like to be a 'normal' human, so I have lifted my children high above my head so they get the best view, I have pushed my way forward into the crowd standing around the stall selling hot chocolate and Gingerbread, I would happily pick my way though a over crowded cafĂ© to buy lunch and still manage to spot an empty table and put my claim to it. I wouldn't feel pressured to move along as I looked at baubles and other Christmas decorations, and I didn't need to ask someone else what the price tag said, oh how things have changed. I hope I am not making it sound that I think that Mr and Mrs non disability are ignorant to others especially folks with a disability, because I am certainly not, I am, however, saying that these events are not very well thought out for people with a disability. 
Yeah, ok, we do get the disabled parking. But from there on, to attend a large function is nothing more than carnage. Its impossible to use my cane in a over crowded venue, people shouldn't be expected to leap out of your way when they are enjoying themselves, they are focused on their families and savouring each moment, again, hands up, I have been there too. I once nearly landed in a wheelchair with a old lady because I was looking up at this amazing Christmas tree and had totally missed the carers sliding her along beside me, thankfully she thought it was funny and I was much lighter then so she wasn't too squashed, but within ten minutes I had forgotten it, but I can bet the carer and the old lady were on high alert for the rest of the day for strange women falling onto old ladies laps! 
So, why cant these places open up for a couple of hours before Mr an Mrs non disability come along for people with disabilities and their families? I am fully aware that as a disabled person I don't always pay a full priced ticket because there are things I cant access, but I would much rather pay full price for a ticket for a couple of hours to be able to enjoy what everyone else is enjoying. 
Just imagine, they could turn down the music a little, the place wouldn't be so busy, the pressure would be lessened and when the venue opened to the rest of the public they wouldn't have to worry about bumping into wheelchairs, tripping over white canes or standing open mouthed as a fully grown teenager has a complete melt down and because they haven't had any dealings with a autistic child they presume you are trailing a badly behaved monster around with you who deserves a slap!
Oh my god, and why isn't there some sort of system where we could go into a concert for example and the music doesn't get played so loud. The government goes on about inclusion, but there is no inclusion. #Debenhams....I dare you to open on a Sunday morning for two hours just for disabled people to do some Christmas shopping.
I long to experience Christmas as I used too, but I and so many others cant.
Maybe its because there is a bit of a taboo concerning people with disabilities and what the expectations are. wouldn't it be great if a company just said...look, what would you like? We are holding a Christmas event, its going to be over four days, should we shut to the general public for two hours on the first day of the event so that we can have a slot for disabled....but then I suppose you are always going to get some cranky old sod that disagrees. 
Well, now I have got that rant out of my system I am going to switch on my Christmas lights and think about the fact that I want to go to a local Christmas market tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment