Wednesday 20 February 2019

Restoring confidence

Evening all! Yesterday afternoon I was sitting with my feet up (HAHA...if only) when my mobile phone starts to ring, my mobile NEVER rings, no one ever rings my mobile so I was a bit flustered and just stood looking at the screen which said..private number. Thinking it would probably be someone telling me that I had recently been involved in a accident or trying to tell me I needed to apply for PPI before I missed the fast approaching last date to claim. So, I snatched up the phone and answered with an abrupt YES, HELLO, only to here the gentle kind voice of my doctor! 
I was totally confused for a moment, but she was just checking I was OK as she hadn't seen me in a while!!! She wanted to know how I was getting on with work and how I was feeling about taking early retirement on the grounds of ill health. Who knew that my Doctor knew so much about my situation, and so I had to explain that I had decided that I wouldn't be claiming my pension and had actually walked straight into a new job despite feeling that I would never be any use to anyone ever again and totally drained of any confidence and self esteem. She listened as I chatted about how I was feeling so much better and confident that I had made the right choices. She was so happy with me, I felt a little like a child who had finished her reading book before the rest of the class and the teacher was saying how marvellous I was, in fact, my Doctor was saying how proud of me she was, she has seen first hand how low I was and was worried how I was coping, she called me an inspiration and instructed me to make an appointment if I needed anything, she then made me promise to take it easy and to look after myself. 
Sometimes, its so easy to be 'in the moment' and forget what you've been through, which isn't a bad thing but I believe its important to acknowledge the bad times because it makes you respect and enjoy the good times so much more. When you can see what you have come through it gives you the strength to carry on and make so much more of what you have. 
How kind was that though? To know someone was thinking of me, and a someone who has hundreds of people to think about, I am so lucky to have such nice people around me and am humbled to think I was at the front of someone's thoughts.
It certainly set me up for today, I felt so full of confidence in myself and I think I've had a good day for it.
The sunshine is helping to lift my spirits too, its getting lighter in the mornings and staying lighter in the evening, its so nice to get out with Ralph at 7am and not have to worry about it being too dark. The only down side of the sun this time of year is it tends to give me nasty head aches, I think I get used to dull days. I don't know if you've ever noticed when you are being driven in a car, when the sun shines through the trees, as the car moves along you kind of get flashing, my sight doesn't cope well with that 'flashing', it makes me tired quickly and (even though I told my Doctor that I haven't had a head ache for months) it gives me a bitch of a head ache, you know one of those ones where you feel like if you throw up it might take the pressure off and release some of the pain in your temples. I normally go to bed and sleep it off, but I now have some little magic pills which the Doctor gave me ages ago when I was struggling, these are magical little yellow pills and after about an hour I was feeling much better and was able to lean forward without thinking I was going to pass out. It seems it might be time to bring out the old sunglasses again and I will have to use my cane again when I'm out on my own I love the sun but its proper blinding! 
Well, folks, The Brit awards is on the telly  and Pink must be about to come on so I'm going to sign off quick and speak soon xx
  


No comments:

Post a Comment