Friday 29 October 2021

DIY, that's Don't do it yourself

Hello everyone! How is it six months since I last wrote, I don't know where the time has gone, well, I kind of do...it's gone on work, housework, cooking, shopping and walking the dog!

I also decided that I would start decorating my house, the whole of downstairs was looking tired and tatty, so I got myself some old paint brushes out of the loft and found some white paint that had been knocking around  and away I went, soon turned out that this was quite a crappy idea, as the paint was off....who knew paint went bad? ....and my paint brushes had stiffer bristles than a hedgehog. 

One whole stressful shopping trip later, and I was fully armed with new brushes, ten ton of white paint, some rollers and the plastic tray thingy you pour your paint into. I even had some of that tape you put on the carpet to stop paint going all over the carpet when you gloss the skirting boards. 

I got a little step ladder and an old towel to protect the carpet. I put on and old jumper and a pair of joggers, feeling like a total professional, I very confidently embarked on my new found 'painting all the walls in my house white' talent.

Turns out this was even more short lived than my 'saving  money by using old stuff out of the loft' idea. Seems that blind people have a bit of a problem when it comes to decorating, like, I thought I was doing sooooo well, then I'd realize that I'd missed some, so I'd go back and try to cover it, and then I'd forget where I'd gotten too. THEN, someone would walk in the room and say.....Mum, that's gonna need another coat.....NO EFFING POOP! 

One afternoon I was right into it, and determined that I wasn't gonna miss any spots and it defo wouldn't be requiring another coat, I'd managed to get paint just about everywhere, my black joggers now looked like they were cow print, my hair was stuck together with paint and my face was covered in little tiny white spots from where the stupid roller sprayed more paint on me than on the wall. But I was in the zen moment, happy as a pig in paint, I'd got my tray full of white paint, my roller balanced on the side, my towel protecting the carpet and I was up the ladder doing the whole 'cutting in' thing that the people who know how to paint do, then, I don't know how it happened, my sight makes my balance a bit crap, so as I stepped back down off the ladder, I miss-judged my footing and put my foot straight into the tray of paint, I leaped forward thinking how lucky it was to have put the towel down, when I glanced back over my shoulder and realized that I'd tipped the whole tray completely off the towel and paint was happily seeping paint into my charcoal coloured carpet, just when I thought things couldn't get any worse I noticed that I was no longer holding the paint brush, not really daring to look over my other shoulder at the paint brush that was now sitting in the middle of my living room carpet having bumped into the sofa on its way to the carpet.

Ralph was just sitting there with his front paws crossed, all judgemental, like...woman, you are registered blind, what the hell did you think was gonna happen. You should have just taken me out for a long walk instead, cos you got one hell of a mess to clean up....in that moment, I had several options, 1, go-to bed and ignore it...2 cry....3 throw the rest of the paint all around the room, scream very loud, then ring the house insurance people. 4 clean the bloody mess up, and try again tomorrow.

I was right there on option 3, but the smug grin on Ralphs face, almost daring me to do it, expecting me to erupt any second just defused me completely and I went with option 4.

By the time everyone was home from work, I'd done my best clean up job, moved the sofa over the bits I couldn't shift and found a throw for the sofa....no one even noticed.

I need to start painting the walls up the stairs next and the landing walls, but I need a break, my 'just because I can't do it doesn't mean I won't do it' attitude has worn me down a bit for now, plus I gotta get the Christmas decorations down from the loft, which is always a messy job, so the next paint saga may have to wait until January, unless a miracle happens and someone does it for me!

Anyway, I've still got lots to tell you guys, I think I will make a few shorter posts so you don't get bored with my witterings.

Speak soon, stay safe xx



No comments:

Post a Comment