Sunday 30 August 2015

Myopic Choroidal Neovascularization

A Facebook mate of mine said they had to look up MCN as they didn't know what it was so....
The condition occurs in people who are highly (myopic) short sighted. when someone is highly short sighted, the retina at the back of the eye is stretched due to the increased size of the eye associated with short-sightedness. this stretching can make the retina thinner and prone to splitting, when this occurs, blood vessels from the choroid (the layer behind the retina) can grow into the retinal space. These new vessels (neovascularization) leak blood and fluid, which prevents the retina from working properly, and in my case, has lead to severe permanent sight loss.
I must add that, being knocked of my bike probably didn't cause this to occur, although they cant say for sure, but I think going to Moorfields was suggested because doctors can tell so much from looking in the back of your eyes when you've had a knock to the head, also I am short sighted in both eyes , so they tend to leave my 'good eye' alone because if I loose the sight in that one, well, I'll be buggered really :) .....having said that everything that can be in place is in place for when that happens, which scares the crap out of me sometimes, then I remind myself that there's people a whole lot worse off than me and at the end of the day it will just be learning to live my life a different way, its not going to kill me and I know I will adjust to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment