Saturday 22 April 2017

Blind Offensive!

Afternoon everyone....
Well this is blog number 100, I wanted to do something special, but I couldn't decide what was special, so I will talk to you all about the small, big word!!
The other day I was asked if I found the word 'blind' offensive. It took me a few minutes to decide, I wanted to say Nooooo of course not, but being blind is such a big thing and the word blind is so small and means something that, very often, it isn't, so I said I preferred 'sight loss'. 
I mean, if someone is described as being blind, it is assumed that they cant see anything, literally living in a world of black. But no one sees the same, and although a certain sight loss disease is given a name, no two people experience the exactly the same strains and degrees of that disease at the same time.
So to use the word Blind to me is white washing over something that is very personal, complex and individual.
It is also a old word, I know that might sound funny and strange, but when someone says they have a friend who is blind, you automatically think of that person as being 'old' but if you say you have a friend who has sight loss, it seems to open the doors a little and widen peoples expectations of what someone who has sight loss might...see!
Over the years there have been many words used to describe peoples disabilities that have not been the most pleasant, these words as time goes by are recognised as words that are offensive and so society naturally replaces these words with something that is more specific, less insulting and dare I say it, politically correct. The word blind, however, sticks. I find it a glum word, a word that suggests that a regular life is doomed, if you are blind you cannot do anything, so you might as well sit in a chair and forget all about any future.
Sight loss gives you hope, I have been registered as having...severe sight loss(blind), yet I certainly do not consider myself as being blind, especially when I am in my usual routine, take me out of my familiar zone and routine, and ok, I admit things change, I know I find life harder then, and I know I struggle but I still wouldn't say I am blind.
On Thursday this week I met a incredible group of people, I went to meet some other RNIB Connect volunteers. I took the train (on my own) to Peterborough and met the others at the station, some of these people had travelled miles, but the staff at the station were so helpful, I was very impressed.
Anyway, I sat in a conference room at the RNIB office absorbing all this incredible energy from these folks who all had varying degrees of sight loss.
One gentleman is the pinnacle of knowledge, I could ask him anything and he would be able to help, and if he couldn't he would set to work to find the information I needed, his guide dog is as confident as he is, if every I met a man who deserves recognition for his devotion and passion for supporting the RNIB it has to be this guy.
I sat opposite another gentleman who used a white cane to mauve himself around, I wished I had more time to talk to him, and learn more about his life. A intelligent and gently spoken man and very confident in his surroundings.
Beside me was a smartly dressed older lady, who also had a fascinating life history to tell, she enjoyed telling me about how active she is within her local community and how she doesn't let her sight loss hold her back, there was also a much younger lady, whose enthusiasm and energy lifted the room, a lady who instead for grieving for the life she used to have, has put all her knowledge and experience into supporting the Connect team with fresh, positive and determined ideas. I was totally humbled to have met all the people in the room and can only hope for half of their wisdom and determination to not let their sight loss rule the way they live, the places they go and the people they meet. Not one of these people seemed bitter about the changes in their lives that sight loss brings, Positive attitudes breads positivity I say!
The RNIB building itself was buzzing with life, but every single member of staff, no matter how busy they were, took the time to acknowledge us. Mind you, if there was ever a place that a group of people who are sight impaired could meet together and fit in, you'd think it would be the RNIB offices, so no wonder we felt so at home.
So back to the original question, No, I don't find the word Blind offensive, I find it dated, and not a big enough word to describe the vastness of losing your sight and definitely not a big enough word to describe the inspirational, remarkable and just down right sassy people that it labels.
I learnt a lot that day, and I don't mean just through the paperwork, I am grateful for the experience, and was just a little proud of being recognised by one man as...the lady that blogs!!
Speak soon x



No comments:

Post a Comment