Monday 7 August 2017

Back fired blog

Hi Everyone,
Well, it seems that my positive attitude and the promise to blog more often back fired on me already!
Last weekend, I started to feel unwell, to be honest, I haven't felt right for months, groggy, tired and cranky all the time, and as I said in the last blog I blamed it on pace of life and setting my expectations to high....seems this was a load of old balls, as not feeling well rapidly turned in to feeling like shit, which by last Saturday night had turned into an uncomfortable ache in my stomach. Constipation...off I drag myself around to the local corner shop and buy a big pot of Andrews liver salts....that will do the trick. After diluting and drinking most of the tub by Sunday night with no change a little alarm bell began to do its thing in the darkest dustiest part of my brain....BUT I have a wedding to attend on Monday AND my Mums Birthday on Tuesday...so as usual, true to form I ignored it. Ignore is a bit of a fib, as I couldn't ignore the pain that had moved from the top of my stomach to the lower right. I was now mixing painkillers and Andrews (see, I know how to party!) but neither were giving me any relief, so I smiled and chatted my way through the wedding (Which was beautiful by the way) and, well, I am not really sure how I got through the Tuesday which was Mums Birthday, I remember sitting in Nandos wondering if the sick feeling was because, i was hungry, I had taken too much Andrews or because there was something wrong with me. 
Wednesday morning when I tried to get out of bed my body wouldn't work, I was having trouble breathing and the pain in my stomach was a complete bitch, dare I say, worse than labour pains!
A appointment with my doctor got him in a panic and he phoned straight through to Lister hospital, where over the phone they thought my appendix had burst.
So I was whizzed to A&E, where I was whizzed elsewhere, from there things slowed down and the blood tests, x-rays and CT scans started. I think I was in a unit called ACU, I had a room on my own and although I had my Mum with me I was frightened, the nurses didn't really tell you to much, they kept popping in removing more of my blood then injecting something to prevent blood clots into my stomach whilst pouring painkillers and fluids through a drip attached to a cannula.
There was this old guy in the room beside me who was slightly deaf so he was shouting about all his nitty gritty for all to hear......CAN I AV A FAG? ....no sir, you cant smoke in the hospital......WELL PUSH ME OVA TO THAT WINDOW AND I'LL AV A FAG OUTTA THE WINDOW..... I am sorry sir but no.....WELL CAN SOMEONE PUSH ME OUTSIDE FOR A FAG THEN.....No, we cannot send a member of staff to take you for a cigarette sir.......DO YOU KNOW I FOUGT FOR THIS COUNTRY, AN I AVNT AD A WASH FOR FREEE WEEKS, SO CAN I AV A FAG.......silence for what felt like a long time, I was in so much pain I wanted to push the old sod out of the window myself for a bloody fag....then all I heard was a sigh and the nurse walking away. All afternoon and into the night he moaned about wanting a fag, when he finally fell asleep he began to snore, not a gentle snore, but a great big fat bellowing din....I began to cry. 
Three oclock in the morning the surgeon comes around to tell me my appendix are fine and that there seems to be a problem with my bowel, but to try to get some sleep and there would be further investigations the following day. With the night nurse coming in every 15 minutes to do their checks there was much chance of any sleep. 
The following day I was moved to swift ward, there was definitely more entertainment, the woman in the bed beside me did nothing but moan and groan from the minute so got in the room. When my doctor came round he informed me that I have something called Colitis and I would be having a endoscopy as soon as the present bout had calmed down.
As soon as the doctor had left, I was on my phone googling it, lots of boxes were ticked and I felt quietly reassured. So as they had given my a diagnosis I assumed I was going home so I packed up all my stuff and prepared for home.
But alas, nope, they decided they liked me that much that they wanted to keep me another couple of days.
This did piss me off a bit as I had missed having some of Mums birthday cake, and it was chocolate AND it was from Waitrose, Waitrose make the best cake ever! Still with the cannula attached I went for a little stroll around the ward with my trolley carrying my drugs dripping through the tube, there at the top of the corridor, being admitted was the old guy from the day before. I walked as fast as I could wheel my trolley back to my bed, that's it, there was no way I was going to stop another night with the old guy moaning about wanting a fag and the woman in the other bed winging and going into graphic detail about how she uses a bed pan.
When the doctor came around on Friday Morning I was up and dressed and I informed him that I felt loads better and I was going home, he laughed and walked away, later on he came back with his friend and my notes and after a lot of do's and dont's I was allowed home. Over the last few days I have done a lot of sleeping and not much else. Tomorrow, I go to Greece for a week, so I fully intend to do lots of resting. When I get back, I will try once again to blog more!!
Speak Soon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment