Friday 18 August 2017

Greece


Hello Everyone!!!
I hope you are all well? 
Well, I truly don't know where the last week has gone, our holiday to Greece already seems a life time ago, and despite all the little disasters we had along the way I managed to spend some time relaxing and pondering......Pondering is something I actually did a lot of, and people watching, nothing better than sitting on a sunbed with sunglasses on and people watching. When we arrived the hotel had put my girls in a lovely room on the first floor, but had put me down in the dungeons in a room that smelt terrible, had no natural light, the mattress on the bed was so thin the springs were jabbing out, the room was just nasty. The corridor leading to the room was dark and the stair case leading down to the corridor was a beautiful white marble, just great for someone who cant see very well.
This lead to a very pissed off other half whose calm chat did the trick and we were moved to a room that was perfect, brightly lit corridors, a working shower, and a balcony over looking the swimming pool, by the end of day two we were all finally in holiday mode. Anyway, back to pondering and people watching. I am not really sure I (or anyone) can say this out loud these days but, watching children play is better than television, They are hilarious, they see everything in black and white and their imagination is incredible. 
There was this little boy who has chocolate coloured skin and the bluest eyes, a really beautiful child who will be a complete heart breaker as he grows up, but right now at the grand old age of about 18 months I recon, he was most entertaining and had everyone running around after him....then there was two little sisters, the youngest of the two was nothing more than a spoilt brat, she had decided that one of the inflatables (and there were loads of inflatables) belonged to her, and she was having it no matter what or who was in her way, she spent most of the day screeching that she MUST have it, it was kind of comforting that everyone else around the pool was fed up with her too.
The sun bed fight was also a very entertaining part of my day, and I soon discovered that in order to get a sunbed you had to go down to the pool at 5.45am in your PJ's with your towels, and 'save' your beds, I say 'save' because if you weren't careful people just folded up your towel and hid it behind the wall!!
So, as soon as I was back in my room after saving my sunbeds, I sat on the balcony and watched as people scurried around moving sunbeds and towels (other peoples towels) so they had got the best position for all day sunbathing.  I began wondering if people actually set their alarms to go and put their towels on beds, the pool wasn't open until 8am, but some people became really obsessed over what they considered, their sunbeds, and if someone beat them too it they had the arse for the rest of the day, this then caused the little evil devil I have inside me to try and poach other peoples sunbeds just because I found it funny to hear the mumbles of disgust that someone had dared to get their favourite beds before they did.
Our room was on the second floor, second room in from the right, the one with the door open, perfect viewing point!
The hotel was on top of a small but steep hill, Zante is one of the most beautiful islands I have ever been on, the residents are so very friendly, and the food is amazing. Their way of life is something many people can only dream of, I don't remember seeing one police car or any sign of trouble at all. Everyone is so relaxed, no one is in a rush or chasing some sort of ridiculous schedule, what doesn't get done today will still be there tomorrow kind of attitude. It got me pondering about life at home, all our racing around, our incessant need to follow rules and regulations, and our rudeness. As British people I think we are quite a rude bunch and I did notice a few times the way that a British person spoke to or ignored a Greek person and it made me feel embarrassed to be British, not everyone was like that, there is always going to be a few idiots that tarnish peoples images of what people from other countries should be and act like.

These two photos were taken at the bottom of the hill on the walk into town, we found a couple of wonderful restaurants and the most amazing gift shop ever 
Every holiday I book they always ask if I need extra help, and I always say no as I feel that my family are with me and they will help me to the right places at the right times BUT Luton airport at 4 o'clock in the morning was nothing more than carnage! weaving up and down the sectioned areas was a bloody nightmare, I used my white cane but the volume of people moving was just too much and made me feel dizzy. A couple of times I felt eyes watching me and could feel their wearers wanting to ask me if I needed help but not daring too in case they offend! The next holiday I book I will definitely ask for help, not only for me but for my family, they spent most of the time worrying about me, checking that I wasn't bumping into people or tripping or falling on steps that I hadn't seen, or on suitcases, even people sitting on the floor were a hazard that I hadn't seen.
So, after the pain of last week, I only had a couple of times when I felt unwell, I managed to eat and drink  sensibly and am looking forward to the endoscopy in September (NOT). I found a photo of me and my daughter at our friends wedding, you would never have believed how much pain I was in....
Well, Ralph is nagging me to take him for a walk so I will leave you with a lovely photo of the beach near our hotel.
xx







No comments:

Post a Comment