Wednesday 29 August 2018

Ironing

Seriously, does any-one else burn their iron? I mean I will keep trying to do my ironing as long as I can, but I have just brought my third iron this year!
Its definitely taking me longer to get through a pile of ironing, and I'm not as anal about it as I used to be, I was never one for ironing socks and nickers or anything like that, but I don't iron bed linen anymore or pj's, I just fold it nicely when it comes off the washing line and shove it straight into the airing cupboard. I tend to hold things up in front of me as I am going along and if it looks ok to me it doesn't get ironed...trouble is who am I to decide if it needs ironing or not? I cant tell half the time and then I am at risk of finding the item back in the washing bin!
Irons though, are generally not blind person friendly. That little dial thing in the middle which you move to get the right heat for the fabric you are ironing, I think this little dial thing may be where I am going wrong! I cant see it at all and tend to just wiggle it until I hear steam coming out of it or I hold my hand in front of the plate until I feel heat, not a very technical way of getting the heat right, and clearly the heat isn't right otherwise I wouldn't keep burning the plate! 
Then there's the place where you pour water into your iron, well, that's just a barrel of laughs too, I don't use those little plastic pots they give you with your new iron, they are just too fiddly and I always end up over filling, so I use a jug and end up over filling the iron anyway and the iron ends up sitting in a pool of water. I need a iron that doesn't have all the dials, knobs and twisty turny things but then steam irons wouldn't work if they didn't have all those things so it seems I am destined to buy at least five irons a year, the one I had at the beginning of the year kept getting magically cleaned every time my mum came for a visit, but eventually it became beyond even her iron cleaning abilities, so I brought one of these really cheap ones, I think it cost £6, but it was crap, it was so light to handle I kept knocking it over and it ended up looking like this....
The one I brought yesterday looks like this..for now!
I had one of those entertaining bus journeys yesterday on my way into town to buy a iron. As you know Mum lives down the village from me, its about six bus stops away, so I get on at the stop near me and just hope she has got to her stop before the bus arrived. We did go through a stage during the winter last year where I would go and stand at the bus stop and then when the bus came I would ring her to tell her the bus was on the way, but this didn't work as her phone was either off or she couldn't find it in her bag.
So anyway, yesterday, there we are, I am standing at my bus stop and she is sitting at hers, the minutes ticked by and twenty minutes after its due time I concluded that the bus wasn't coming so I walked to Mums bus stop and we simply caught the next bus.
There we sat on a slightly busier than usual bus, but the oldies we less than happy, there was so much tutting and huffing going on I was wondering if they were about to turn into a load of bulls.
All this moaning triggered the old lady sitting beside me and she was off.....I've been waiting an hour for this bus...so I rolled my eyes and ignored her, then she taps me on the shoulder and asks if I had been waiting too, so I said yes....somewhere in her old lady mind she had mistakenly seen my answer as a green light to explode into a torrent of slagging the bus driver off...its DISCUSTING...not wanting the bus driver, who could hear her very loud voice, to think I was agreeing with her, I said..no, not really.
She stopped moaning, leaned forward in my face and said..what do you mean? This is the second time in a week that the bus hasn't turned up....so I lent forward and said...I don't suppose they do it on purpose, they don't stand outside their bus with their mates and say..ahh bugger it, I cant be arsed with this lets go down the pub, there will be a reason the bus didn't turn up.
Well, I have to go into town!!….So, I said, Ohhh did you have an appointment? ...NO, I need to get bread from the bakers.....I didn't really trust myself to open my mouth so I bit down hard on my tongue until I thought it was going to pop.
Again, she saw my silence as a excuse to give me more crap, leaning forward again she whispers..well, last week one of the Indian drivers tried to steal my purse!! I wanted to get the hell off the bus but the next stop was too far for Mum to walk into town. Instead, I put my hand up in her face to stop her talking. I know the exact driver she is talking about, He is a bit grumpy, but Hellloooo, look at the crap they have to put up with and there is no-way he would have tried to steal her purse, what was he going to do? Leap out of the tiny window and run off up the street with her purse tucked under his arm?
So, I said, If you act negatively you will receive negativity, that's the problem these days, the bus drivers are human, and they cant stop the bus breaking down, an accident or road works on their route. If you wanted a personal service you should have booked a taxi 
Ahhh well, that shut her up for all about twenty seconds and then she proceeded to tell me all about an incident last week where the alarm was going off on the bus and the police were called and it was really terrible for all the people on the bus, apparently they were all sitting outside Sainsburys for 45 minutes, its sooo disgusting....
WAIT!! You weren't on the bus?...Noooo my daughter came to visit that day so I missed it!!!
That was it, I rang the bell and Mum and I thanked the bus driver, wished him well, got off and walked the rest of the way to town.
If nothing else that half hour bus ride made me forget all about burning my iron. 
xx




No comments:

Post a Comment