Tuesday 27 October 2015

Challenges

 On one of my visits to see Dr Attias, my GP, (who has now sadly for me, retired) he described the process of emotions I was experiencing as similar to grief, the ups and downs were incredible, days when I was so happy with confidence and a hope for the future I could burst followed by a day when I was beside myself with sadness and gloom, these times were the hardest to control, and I can imagine I wasn't the easiest person to live with so when I had started to get myself back together and had began the 'Acceptance' part of the journey I decided I needed a challenge or two, so with the help of my now ex partner, his best friend and his very lovely, kind and gentle wife, we decided we would climb Mount Snowdon! A route was chosen, we booked a B&B, I was armed with my white cane and a comfortable pair of boots and away we went! When we left Bedfordshire it was pouring with rain, by the time we had reached wales the sun was shinning! We started at Rhyd Ddu, the guide says.... This is one of the easiest and the least used routes.  It starts at the site of the South Snowdon Station of the Welsh Highland Railway.  The path is easy to follow and climbs gradually to the summit.  The going gets harder as you near the summit and the last section is along a steep narrow path with sheer drops below.......so, the path gradually climbs! my goodness the first bit I was using my stick to pull myself up! but it was truly exhilarating, we each went at our own pace, the men ahead messing about and us ladies pretending we weren't even breaking a sweat! As we got further up the mountain the weather got warmer, and there were some spectacular views, apparently!..Then as we neared the summit, the path literally disappeared and there was this narrow rocky 'path' with rocks one side and nothing, and I mean NOTHING the other, just a very very long way down, my ex was in front and I held his jacket, I put my stick away because if I tripped over it I was going to fall a long way, and the bestie was behind holding onto the top of my rucksack. thinking back, if I had slipped all three of us would have gone down the side of that mountain. The last bit before it levels out at the top we were completely on our hands and knees climbing over rocks. When I stood up, I brushed myself down and got out my stick and made my way to the sun dial thingy where everyone was having their photographs taken. To reach the top is a fantastic feeling, a whole muddle of wonderful emotions. In the building there were some official looking fellas, who we had a chat with and they were very impressed with my ability to climb that path, when we told them we were thinking about descending on the Pyg track, they told me I wasn't as they didn't think it would be safe for me....Stupid men, I wanted to  and did argue, but they won and we made our way back down the Ranger path, it was a bit longer but a really lovely walk. I think it took about seven hours to go up and down, and I only tripped over a couple of times. The next day I felt only slightly stiff, and we even managed a little walk along the river and to the statue of GELERT.
A few months later I began to get restless again and two of my most favourite ladies suggested we walk the Midnight walk in Luton for Keech. Again armed with the stick,the same comfy pair of boots, and two of the most wonderful ladies in all the land, we stomped around Luton from Midnight, I cant remember exactly but it took a couple of hours to walk 10 miles, again we met some fantastic people, and the whole atmosphere was amazing, my friends helped me all the way, as it was dark, they remembered to tell me where kerbs were and weren't, without them I couldn't have done it, by the end of the walk, the noise my stick was making on the path was driving me mad, but it was well worth every step, not only had I achieved another goal but I had supported a excellent charity with sponsors.
Since then I have completed other charity walks, conquered a climbing wall and at the moment I am teaching myself how to swim!
All these things not only get me out and are good for my mental health but I have met some lovely people, I have a small team of swimming friends who look out for me on a Wednesday morning when I am at the pool, I am eternally grateful for all the opportunities and experiences I have and forever grateful to the people who help me achieve them even if some of those people are no longer able to be part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment