Sunday 18 October 2015

My Glasses

As I've mentioned before, my glasses are my life line second only to my contact lenses, the lenses are as thick as milk bottle bottoms, and are about 20 years old, I used to go to an opticians in Biggleswade, and saw a man called Mr Loveday, they made me a pair of glasses in a sturdy Rodenstock frame. Now a days I cant really see much out of them as the prescription hasn't been changed since I bought them, although Specsavers in Hitchin did try, but my brain wouldn't make the adjustment, as they cost me £700, I tried to persevere with them for about a week but it just wasn't happening, luckily, Specsavers took them back and refunded the money, they were in ore of my old glasses and the Optician at Specsavers said he had never seen such a well made pair of glasses in such a high prescription. When my  eldest daughter was two years old (she will be 18 soon), she managed to snap them in half, they were repaired and I hadn't had any problems for years....THEN last February we brought a Puppy....little sod, ran off with them and chewed the plastic off of the end of the arm, after a lot of chasing  the little bugger around the house, I managed to retrieve them. The thought of taking them to be repaired was just a bit too embarrassing so I have just been careful when I put them on as not to stab myself with the sharp bit of metal sticking out of the plastic.
So, let me set the scene, Friday after a exhausting day at work, I get home, cook tea, do the ironing, change the bed sheets, hoover and dust, all the time I have a little warm happy feeling because I know that soon I will be getting into my clean bed in my tidy bedroom....sadly, I was excited, not everyone's Friday night I suppose! there I am, all bathed, clean PJ's, I climb into bed, take out my contact lenses and put on my glasses, I lay back on my pillows, long large satisfied sigh, and PLOP, my glasses and one arm are on my lap and the other arm is still behind my ear, I then spent the next two hours trying to balance the bloody things on my face so I could play candy crush until I fell asleep!
Saturday morning finds me on the bus going to Bedford to get my glasses repaired, Mum in tow!
We find Specsavers, and its heaving with people, this young lad ambles over and asks if I need help, I make him promise not to laugh at my glasses and showed them to him, he takes them off to a little machine, within about 20 seconds most of the staff are gathered around the machine, and Mum says, they keep looking at you! When I looked over I could see the usual questions were about to start, so I gave my biggest smile, and said, YES they are mine, Yes there are fantastic and YES they are very old. The lad smiled back and said 'you have a amazing prescription, how do you manage'....oh man I hate that, NOT managing is NOT an option. Mum tenses beside me and waits for me to blow, the lad sees Mums face and says...'I'll just clean them for you and file off this sharp end', then I notice I am the centre of attention, all the customers are looking at me and everyone seems to have stopped, the lad brings my fixed and clean glasses over to me and I ask him how much I owe, ...'oh, my goodness, nothing, you owe nothing, I took my glasses and my mum and ran for my life, how embarrassing!

No comments:

Post a Comment